Bake 350 for 30 Minutes
- 2 medium sized eggplants, washed and stemmed – Salt
- 1 large onion chopped (1 cup)
- 1 cup vegetable or olive oil
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 2 1/4 cups water
- 1 teaspoon leaf basil, crumbled
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano, crumbled
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 pound mozzarella cheese sliced
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1. Cut eggplant crosswise into slices about 1/4 inch thick. Put into a colander, sprinkle with salt. Leave to drain for 30 minutes. Wipe dry with paper towel.
2. Sauté onion in 2 tablespoons of oil in large skillet until tender. Stir in tomato paste, water, basil, oregano, 1 teaspoon salt and the pepper. Cook slowly, uncovered, 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat.
3. Dust each eggplant slice with flour; dip in beaten eggs. Fry on both sides in hot oil in another skillet until soft and golden, adding more oil as needed. Drain on paper towel.
4. Line shallow baking dish with a little of the tomato sauce. Arrange a lawyer of eggplant slices over it. Cover with a layer of mozzarella slices, more sauce and sprinkling grated cheese. Repeat layers to use all ingredients.
5. Bake in an oven at 350 for 30 minutes or until eggplant golden on top. Garnish with fresh basil.